“Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might. Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness; And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace; Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked. And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God: Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;”
• We do wrestle, but not against flesh and blood!
• Put on the whole armor of God! The armor is a metaphor. The purpose of this armor is for war and the awareness that we are in a war.
• For us to comprehend the concept, we must understand to the point of application. Anytime you don’t understand something’s purpose, abuse is inevitable.
The Helmet of Salvation
What worries you, masters you
“Bless the Lord , O my soul, and forget not all his benefits:”
• It is a benefit and favor that God gives when He forgives us. There is no merited request that we can offer the Lord because all that we are and all that we have is by His grace.
• “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” 1 John 1:9
• David had to remind himself of all the befits that God offers. If we don’t do this, the enemy will wear us out.
• Salvation is a helmet so that thoughts of the enemy don’t penetrate my head without first going through the thoughts of God and the word of God that’s on my mind.
• There are some thoughts that come to our mind that need to hit us and bounce off. There are thoughts that don’t need to stick.
• The helmet protects our thoughts and allows us to move on His word.
“Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you.”
• Don’t worry!
• Instead of worrying turn to prayer and supplication (a type of prayer rooted in supply) with a thankful and grateful heart and let God know what your requests are.
• Once you give Him your care, He gives you peace. Pour out of you mind and life things that don’t belong there.
• Many people don’t live with a renewed mind because they won’t let go of the old one [mind]. Be willing to give thoughts and mindsets over to God so that He can give you a new one.
• Proverbs 23:7 – You end up becoming the product of what you think.
• You can be anything God called you to be, you have to set your mind on what He called you to be. You cannot let the culture of this world tell you who you are, you must allow what God says about you to define who you are.
• 2 Corinthians 10:5 – You have to cast down every thought and imagination that rises against the knowledge of God. You can only cast down when you know the knowledge of God! How can you cast down thoughts that rise against the knowledge of God if you don’t have the knowledge of God? There’s nothing there to check that thought when you don’t have the knowledge of God.
• Verse nine says that what we’ve learned (studied), and heard, and seen Him do is what we should do and the God of peace will be with us. We have to study to learn, we have to be in the word.
• Hosea 4:6 – God’s people are destroyed for lack of knowledge.
• Isaiah 5:13 – God’s people go into captivity because they have no knowledge.
• Think on what you have heard after you have learned the word. When you have sat under the word, be able to apply what you’ve learned in your life.
“And the Lord hardened the heart of Pharaoh king of Egypt, and he pursued after the children of Israel: and the children of Israel went out with an high hand. But the Egyptians pursued after them, all the horses and chariots of Pharaoh, and his horsemen, and his army, and overtook them encamping by the sea, beside Pi–hahiroth, before Baal–zephon. And when Pharaoh drew nigh, the children of Israel lifted up their eyes, and, behold, the Egyptians marched after them; and they were sore afraid: and the children of Israel cried out unto the Lord . And they said unto Moses, Because there were no graves in Egypt, hast thou taken us away to die in the wilderness? wherefore hast thou dealt thus with us, to carry us forth out of Egypt? Is not this the word that we did tell thee in Egypt, saying, Let us alone, that we may serve the Egyptians? For it had been better for us to serve the Egyptians, than that we should die in the wilderness. And Moses said unto the people, Fear ye not, stand still, and see the salvation of the Lord , which he will shew to you to day: for the Egyptians whom ye have seen to day, ye shall see them again no more for ever.”
• Reprove means to convince! The first role of the Holy Spirit is to convince us to believe. He also convinces us to righteousness.
• We are all looking to be convinced and in conversations we are either convincing someone or being convinced.
• In the passage above, the children of Israel were still worried about the enemy although they witnessed all that God did when they were delivered out of Egypt.
• Stop worrying about the enemy and get your helmet back on!
• Put on the helmet of salvation and know that the enemy that you once saw, you will see no more!