“That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ: Whom having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see him not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory:”
1 Peter 1:7-8
• “So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.” Romans 10:17
• The Word of God is the source of faith. Faith comes by hearing.
• We need more of the Word!
• Faith is defined by Hebrews 11:1
• In the story of Jesus on the boat with the disciples in the storm, Jesus gave them faith before the storm hit. He said, we go to the other side. He didn’t promise that it would be smooth. Jesus rebuked what challenged his word while the disciples finished the image of the wind and rain which had an outcome of death.
• There will be times when the trial makes us forget His word.
• “Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.” Hebrews 11:1 The “evidence” mentioned in this passage is like a title deed.
• We have to let faith finish the image.
“And he said, Take now thy son, thine only son Isaac, whom thou lovest, and get thee into the land of Moriah; and offer him there for a burnt offering upon one of the mountains which I will tell thee of. And Abraham rose up early in the morning, and saddled his ass, and took two of his young men with him, and Isaac his son, and clave the wood for the burnt offering, and rose up, and went unto the place of which God had told him. Then on the third day Abraham lifted up his eyes, and saw the place afar off. And Abraham said unto his young men, Abide ye here with the ass; and I and the lad will go yonder and worship, and come again to you.”
• In this passage, Abraham is being tested!
• verse 7: “And Isaac spake unto Abraham his father, and said, My father: and he said, Here am I, my son. And he said, Behold the fire and the wood: but where is the lamb for a burnt offering?” Genesis 22:7
• verse 11: “And the angel of the Lord called unto him out of heaven, and said, Abraham, Abraham: and he said, Here am I.” Genesis 22:11
“By faith Abraham, when he was tried, offered up Isaac: and he that had received the promises offered up his only begotten son, Of whom it was said, That in Isaac shall thy seed be called: Accounting that God was able to raise him up, even from the dead; from whence also he received him in a figure.”
• We must learn to present the evidence when we are in a trial.
• Get God’s word on your life! Print out scriptures and declare His word over situations.
• Trials allow God to set you up to stand on His word.
• “For all the promises of God in him are yea, and in him Amen, unto the glory of God by us.” 2 Corinthians 1:20
• You need to know His promises before you can declare them.
• When you’re in a trial, state/present the evidence.
“(As it is written, I have made thee a father of many nations,) before him whom he believed, even God, who quickeneth the dead, and calleth those things which be not as though they were. Who against hope believed in hope, that he might become the father of many nations; according to that which was spoken, So shall thy seed be. And being not weak in faith, he considered not his own body now dead, when he was about an hundred years old, neither yet the deadness of Sara’s womb: He staggered not at the promise of God through unbelief; but was strong in faith, giving glory to God; And being fully persuaded that, what he had promised, he was able also to perform.”
• “Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the Lord revealed?” Isaiah 53:1 There will be times when you get the world’s report and you’ll have to chose God’s report.
• In the life of faith, time has a way of not letting us see that God is going to do what He said he would do.
• Don’t let the enemy move you off your promise.
• Abraham that had evidence that was related to his trial. You need specific word (evidence) that you can hope on and stand on.
• How will you respond to the trial? Will you get in His Word? Will you stand on His Word? Have faith in your fire!