“Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might. Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness; And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace; Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked. And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God: Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;”
• God tells us to put the whole armor on, however, he tells us above all to take the shield of faith, the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the spirit.
• In Isaiah 11:2, the Holy Spirit offers seven anointings and might is one of them listed.
• The enemy is strategic in his warfare. The wiles of the devil just means the strategies of the devil. You most see his strategy when you have made a decision to follow Christ.
• Every one of us were created with a purpose. The ultimate purpose that each one of have is to bring God glory. (Psalm 8:1-4, Matthew 5:13; 16) Whatever position God has for you, the enemy will oppose that position. The enemy’s objective is to get man out of the presence of God.
• Bad religion says that you can work your way to God. Sin separated us from God, we are redeemed only by Christ. When man sinned, he lost relationship with God. Jesus came to restore the relationship that God desired to have with man.
• When it comes to anything that enhances your relationship with God, the enemy will oppose you! Three things the enemy will oppose:
– Your prayer time
– When you are in the word (at home, church, wherever)
– Corporate gatherings/assembly for worship
• We have a promise that no weapon formed against us will prosper (Isaiah 54:17). This tells us that the enemy forms and works on weapons.
“The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light. Let us walk honestly, as in the day; not in rioting and drunkenness, not in chambering and wantonness, not in strife and envying. But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof.”
• Before you put on the armor, put off the works of darkness.
• When you “put on” something new or clean, you have to “put off” what is old or dirty first. If you don’t “put off” the things that God has called you to “put off” and you only wear something for a couple of hours or on a Sunday, you’re just a put on!
“Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds; But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth.”
• Can you image someone in a Jesus t-shirt with curse words spewing out of their mouth? You should put off filthy communication before you try to put on things that represent Christ.
• The helmet of salvation is for protection. There are things in the world that we don’t need in our minds and the helmet of salvation protects us from those things. Also, the helmet shows what team you’re on! We shouldn’t be wearing the team Jesus helmet all while anger, wrath, and filthy words are coming out of our mouth.
• Verse 9 says that we’ve put off the old man who lies, we shouldn’t be liars!
• Let’s say you are in prayer and asking and believing for God to do something in your life. What if in that prayer, you acknowledged and asked for forgiveness for the things in the past that have kept you from Him. Then, you are acknowledging your willingness to “put off” old things before you attempt to “put on” His blessing on top of the old you. Make yourself empty and ask Him to remove your thoughts and replace them with His will.
• There are things that we need to put off before we put on what He has for us to walk in. Be willing to acknowledge the things that we need to put off that are not in line with His will.
• Example: to put on love, you need to first put off hate. To put on meekness, put off pride. To put on truth, put off lying.
“Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.”
• No matter what you are facing, God has destined your life to bring him glory. Scriptures for reference:
– According to 1 John 5:4-5, you were destined to overcome the world.
– You are strong and overcome the evil one as promised in 1 John 2:13-14.
– Matthew 12:20 promises that God does not discard you because you are “bruised”. God brings forth victory. He doesn’t cut you off, He still uses you regardless of your past. your history does not define your destiny. Put off the things that lead you to that and put on the armor that will protect you.
– You have victory in Jesus over all enemies, even death (1 Corinthians 15:57).
• God does not plan for the enemy to be your undoing, He plans for the enemy to be your footstool.
• God has destined you for victory!
Wednesday, December 4, 2019 – 6:30PM Service