“Brethren, my heart’s desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved. For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge. For they being ignorant of God’s righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.”
- Jeremiah 3:15 – knowledge and understanding.
- Understanding goes beyond knowledge.
- There is a difference between righteousness, self-righteousness and rightness.
- A question we need to ask ourselves is, “Am I just trying to be right?”
- In my rightness, have I stepped out of the righteousness of God?
- There can be a false standard of what we assume is righteousness. It’s important that we first understand the righteousness of God.
“As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:”
- In and of ourselves there is none righteous.
- God doesn’t just have attributes of righteousness; He IS righteous.
“But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.”
- Our own righteous ways are self-righteous.
“The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.”
- He restoreth my soul (relationally). He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for His name’s sake (representative). You don’t get the second without the first.
- The righteousness of God will either be about becoming relationally righteous or representatively righteous.
- Something is between us if we are not right with God.
- Adam hiding from God is the first broken relationship with God.
- Conviction of sin tells us we are not in right standing with God.
- Man has never had the ability to satisfy the debt owed to God.
- Romans 6:23 – you cannot put a death debt with life.
- Genesis 3:21 – offering of the Lamb – atonement – paid the debt Adam owed God.
- Genesis 4 – difference in the lamb and fruit of his labors.
- Right standing with God would not come by work, but a price of death (lamb over fruit).
- Jesus paid our debt and only asks we re-present Him in all we do.
- True righteousness is for His name’s sake.
- Righteousness is all about representation. If I don’t walk in righteousness, I misrepresent the One who rescued me.
- The condition of the sheep is a reflection of the shepherd.
“Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you. And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: Of sin, because they believe not on me; Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more; Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged. I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.”
- Romans 6:16-18 – when I was in sin, I was free from righteousness.
- “Free from righteousness” means you lived a life at one point in sin.
- When you accept Christ, you become free from the power of sin.
- Many believers have not allowed God to liberate them from the sin mindset.
- If the enemy can keep you separated relationally, you will never know the representative lifestyle.
- Where your heart is there is your treasure.
- You can’t represent Jesus until you have a relationship with Him.
- Religion vs. Relationship à Relationship comes from Right Standing.
- Romans 10:3.
“If ye know that he is righteous, ye know that every one that doeth righteousness is born of him.”
1 John 2:29
- The standard we must represent is the King of Kings.
- Don’t allow a church, organization, group, or society to set the standard of righteousness.
- You can’t get right with God without Jesus.
- Atonement = made one with God through Jesus.
“Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.”
1 John 3:7
- Righteousness out of me is a direct result of the source.
“In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.”
1 John 3:10
- You will represent whoever you have the closer relationship with.
- Whose life am I manifesting? Whoever I have the relationship with.
- Ephesians 4:24.
- Ephesians 5:9.
- II Timothy 3:16.
- Hebrews 5:13.
- Hebrews 12:11.
God made man in His image to represent and reflect Him. My whole goal in life is to bring Him glory in all that I do. I am God’s senate of His Kingdom; I represent Him everywhere I go.
How can I live out righteousness when I am told I have to leave my righteousness at church?
“Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.”
“Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?
Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness. I speak after the manner of men because of the infirmity of your flesh: for as ye have yielded your members servants to uncleanness and to iniquity unto iniquity; even so now yield your members servants to righteousness unto holiness.”
Romans 6:16, 18-19
“For when ye were the servants of sin, ye were free from righteousness. What fruit had ye then in those things whereof ye are now ashamed? for the end of those things is death.
For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.”
Romans 6:20-21, 23
“That as sin hath reigned unto death, even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord.”