“And the Lord said unto Gideon, The people that are with thee are too many for me to give the Midianites into their hands, lest Israel vaunt themselves against me, saying, Mine own hand hath saved me. Now therefore go to, proclaim in the ears of the people, saying, Whosoever is fearful and afraid, let him return and depart early from mount Gilead. And there returned of the people twenty and two thousand; and there remained ten thousand.”
- So many times we believe the strength is in the majority.
- “If God be for you, who can be against you?”
- God sets up the victory so He can get more Glory!
- It’s so easy to look at what’s lost, but God always blesses what remains.
- The more impossible it may look, the more glory God can get.
- Habakkuk 2:1-4.
- We exist to bring God glory!
- He will do strong things through weak people.
- God can do anything in your life that you won’t take the credit for.
- Satan wants to kill your testimony.
- John 12 – Pharisees say they must kill Lazarus.
- The miracle in your life leads people to Jesus.
- Are you a Lazarus?
- Fear and Faith cannot coexist.
- Courage is the response to fear.
- God tells Joshua five times that he needs courage.
- You cannot have courage without faith.
“And the Lord said unto Gideon, The people are yet too many; bring them down unto the water, and I will try them for thee there: and it shall be, that of whom I say unto thee, This shall go with thee, the same shall go with thee; and of whomsoever I say unto thee, This shall not go with thee, the same shall not go. So he brought down the people unto the water: and the Lord said unto Gideon, Every one that lappeth of the water with his tongue, as a dog lappeth, him shalt thou set by himself; likewise every one that boweth down upon his knees to drink. And the number of them that lapped, putting their hand to their mouth, were three hundred men: but all the rest of the people bowed down upon their knees to drink water. And the Lord said unto Gideon, By the three hundred men that lapped will I save you, and deliver the Midianites into thine hand: and let all the other people go every man unto his place.”
- The 300 that remained had a warrior mindset. They were ready to battle and operated in discernment.
- God is no respecter of persons.
- II Timothy 1:7.
- Luke 16:10 – you can only manage what you have left in your life.
- When God looks at this earth…all He needs is what remains.
God doesn’t need the majority, He just needs a Remnant!
“And when they found them not, they drew Jason and certain brethren unto the rulers of the city, crying, These that have turned the world upside down are come hither also;”
- The earthly church had a reputation.
- They were radical.
“Whom Jason hath received: and these all do contrary to the decrees of Caesar, saying that there is another king, one Jesus.”
- They lived in a hostile time.
- The disciples had an allegiance to the King of Kings.
- We need a reputation of turning society upside down for Jesus.
6 Things that describe the Remnant Church:
- Word Based
- Kingdom Minded
- Counter Culture
John 17 – in the world but not of the world.
When the Church fears persecution, it sides with the standards of the world.
“And when they had set them in the midst, they asked, By what power, or by what name, have ye done this? Then Peter, filled with the Holy Ghost, said unto them, Ye rulers of the people, and elders of Israel, If we this day be examined of the good deed done to the impotent man, by what means he is made whole; Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole. This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner. Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved. Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were unlearned and ignorant men, they marvelled; and they took knowledge of them, that they had been with Jesus. And beholding the man which was healed standing with them, they could say nothing against it.”
- This addresses the political and religious authorities.
- Wholeness in our life points directly to Jesus.
“But when they had commanded them to go aside out of the council, they conferred among themselves, Saying, What shall we do to these men? for that indeed a notable miracle hath been done by them is manifest to all them that dwell in Jerusalem; and we cannot deny it. But that it spread no further among the people, let us straitly threaten them, that they speak henceforth to no man in this name. And they called them, and commanded them not to speak at all nor teach in the name of Jesus. But Peter and John answered and said unto them, Whether it be right in the sight of God to hearken unto you more than unto God, judge ye. For we cannot but speak the things which we have seen and heard. So when they had further threatened them, they let them go, finding nothing how they might punish them, because of the people: for all men glorified God for that which was done.”
- The enemies methods have never changed. Then and now he has tried to silence the church.
- Psalms 2.
“And when they heard that, they lifted up their voice to God with one accord, and said, Lord, thou art God, which hast made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and all that in them is: Who by the mouth of thy servant David hast said, Why did the heathen rage, and the people imagine vain things?
And now, Lord, behold their threatenings: and grant unto thy servants, that with all boldness they may speak thy word,”
Acts 4:24-25, 29
The Remnant needs Boldness!
“And when they had prayed, the place was shaken where they were assembled together; and they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and they spake the word of God with boldness.”
“Why do the heathen rage, and the people imagine a vain thing? The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the Lord, and against his anointed, saying, Let us break their bands asunder, and cast away their cords from us.”
“Kiss the Son, lest he be angry, and ye perish from the way, when his wrath is kindled but a little. Blessed are all they that put their trust in him.”