“Then came to him the mother of Zebedee’s children with her sons, worshipping him, and desiring a certain thing of him. And he said unto her, What wilt thou? She saith unto him, Grant that these my two sons may sit, the one on thy right hand, and the other on the left, in thy kingdom. But Jesus answered and said, Ye know not what ye ask. Are ye able to drink of the cup that I shall drink of, and to be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with? They say unto him, We are able. And he saith unto them, Ye shall drink indeed of my cup, and be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with: but to sit on my right hand, and on my left, is not mine to give, but it shall be given to them for whom it is prepared of my Father. And when the ten heard it, they were moved with indignation against the two brethren. But Jesus called them unto him, and said, Ye know that the princes of the Gentiles exercise dominion over them, and they that are great exercise authority upon them. But it shall not be so among you: but whosoever will be great among you, let him be your minister; And whosoever will be chief among you, let him be your servant: Even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many.”
• Jesus never rebuked them for desiring the position, he pointed them back to the price for the position.
• Anyone who has entered into “much” had to be a good manager of little first.
• Many people look at the position instead of what it would cost to live that way or what it would cost to be used by God in that way.
• The price we are to pay is set by the enemy. The enemy will oppose that position.
• Am I living for Jesus and his kingdom through a fleshy mind that is about my gain, or, am I serving Jesus through a spiritual mindset where I am willing to serve and sacrifice.
• One mindset is looking at the position, the other is looking at the price.
“Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him. If ye know these things, happy are ye if ye do them.”
• The happiest people the you will ever meet are those who serve others.
• The way to greatness in the Kingdom of God is an act of humility and your willingness to serve others.
“For we are the circumcision, which worship God in the spirit, and rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh. Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee; Though I might also have confidence in the flesh. If any other man thinketh that he hath whereof he might trust in the flesh, I more: But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ. For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ:”
• Paul’s mindset is on the price that he paid to lose his accolades and win Christ.
• You cannot view the Kingdom of God the way you view the kingdom of the world.
• God doesn’t mind you having things, He doesn’t want things to have you.
• Paul is saying in verse 20 that his citizenship is in Heaven. That doesn’t mean that you have to die to experience that, it means that the world is less valuable or less meaningful to you.
• “For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.” Romans 14:17
• The Kingdom of God is not meat and drink (the physical things that the body needs). That is flesh. The Kingdom of God is spirit.
• Don’t focus on the physical things that are provided, put on the spiritual.
• There is no righteousness without the Holy Spirit: “And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:” John 16:8
We must change the way we view the kingdom of God and it must be in line with the Word.
• John 3:3 – We’ve been born into the Kingdom.
• Luke 12:32 – It is the Father’s pleasure to give us the Kingdom.
• Luke 22:29 – We’ve been appointed to the Kingdom.
• James 2:5 – We are heirs to the Kingdom.
• Colossians 1:13 – We’ve been translated into the Kingdom.
• 1 Thessalonians 2:12 – We have been called into the Kingdom.
• Hebrews 12:28 – We have received the Kingdom.
“Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother’s womb, and be born? Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again. The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit. Nicodemus answered and said unto him, How can these things be? Jesus answered and said unto him, Art thou a master of Israel, and knowest not these things? Verily, verily, I say unto thee, We speak that we do know, and testify that we have seen; and ye receive not our witness. If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you of heavenly things?”
• You cannot perceive the Kingdom of God unless you are born again.
• Jesus was speaking of a spiritual principle but Nicodemus was so flesh minded that he couldn’t wrap his mind around it. Jesus is speaking of a spirit birth, not a flesh birth.
• If a person has not been born again, their citizenship is not of Heaven so when they die, they don’t go to Heaven.
• To walk in Kingdom authority, we’ve got to get our mind off the flesh.
“There cometh a woman of Samaria to draw water: Jesus saith unto her, Give me to drink. (For his disciples were gone away unto the city to buy meat.) Then saith the woman of Samaria unto him, How is it that thou, being a Jew, askest drink of me, which am a woman of Samaria? for the Jews have no dealings with the Samaritans. Jesus answered and said unto her, If thou knewest the gift of God, and who it is that saith to thee, Give me to drink; thou wouldest have asked of him, and he would have given thee living water. The woman saith unto him, Sir, thou hast nothing to draw with, and the well is deep: from whence then hast thou that living water? Jesus answered and said unto her, Whosoever drinketh of this water shall thirst again: But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life. The woman saith unto him, Sir, give me this water, that I thirst not, neither come hither to draw. Jesus saith unto her, Go, call thy husband, and come hither. The woman answered and said, I have no husband. Jesus said unto her, Thou hast well said, I have no husband: For thou hast had five husbands; and he whom thou now hast is not thy husband: in that saidst thou truly. The woman saith unto him, Sir, I perceive that thou art a prophet. Our fathers worshipped in this mountain; and ye say, that in Jerusalem is the place where men ought to worship. Jesus saith unto her, Woman, believe me, the hour cometh, when ye shall neither in this mountain, nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the Father. God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth. But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him. Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews.”
• The woman couldn’t get over the flesh aspect of Jesus being at the well and asking for water with no bucket.
• Her breakthrough would come through the spirit, not the flesh.
• The cravings of your flesh are not your position, that is your price. What God has for you in Heaven is your position.
“When Jesus then lifted up his eyes, and saw a great company come unto him, he saith unto Philip, Whence shall we buy bread, that these may eat?”
• Before Jesus fed the five thousand, he asked the disciples to have everyone sit in groups of fifty. Many people miss their miracle because they refuse to get in order!
“And when they had found him on the other side of the sea, they said unto him, Rabbi, when camest thou hither? When the people therefore saw that Jesus was not there, neither his disciples, they also took shipping, and came to Capernaum, seeking for Jesus. The day following, when the people which stood on the other side of the sea saw that there was none other boat there, save that one whereinto his disciples were entered, and that Jesus went not with his disciples into the boat, but that his disciples were gone away alone; Jesus answered them and said, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Ye seek me, not because ye saw the miracles, but because ye did eat of the loaves, and were filled. Labour not for the meat which perisheth, but for that meat which endureth unto everlasting life, which the Son of man shall give unto you: for him hath God the Father sealed. Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God? Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent. Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Moses gave you not that bread from heaven; but my Father giveth you the true bread from heaven. For the bread of God is he which cometh down from heaven, and giveth life unto the world. Then said they unto him, Lord, evermore give us this bread. And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst. The Jews then murmured at him, because he said, I am the bread which came down from heaven.”
• They were seeking Jesus for what he could do for their flesh instead of what he could do for their spirit.
• If we can’t seek him for what he does spiritually we will never pay the price required in the flesh.
“And brought them to the magistrates, saying, These men, being Jews, do exceedingly trouble our city, And teach customs, which are not lawful for us to receive, neither to observe, being Romans. And the multitude rose up together against them: and the magistrates rent off their clothes, and commanded to beat them. And when they had laid many stripes upon them, they cast them into prison, charging the jailor to keep them safely: Who, having received such a charge, thrust them into the inner prison, and made their feet fast in the stocks. And at midnight Paul and Silas prayed, and sang praises unto God: and the prisoners heard them. And suddenly there was a great earthquake, so that the foundations of the prison were shaken: and immediately all the doors were opened, and every one’s bands were loosed.”
• If you start paying a price in your flesh for living for Jesus and you stop living for Jesus because of the price you are paying, you have failed the test.
• You have to be willing to pay the price for the Kingdom.
• Praise Him in your pain!
• Praise Him in your brokenness.
• Praise Him when your heart is broken.
• Praise Him with no money in your pocket.
• When you are able to do that, “And suddenly” happens.
• Paying the price in your flesh will always position you for where you need to be in your spirit.
• Stop viewing your flesh as the position and start viewing it as the price. Be a living sacrifice!